February 27, 2012

Dobby-- a free elf

So when I found out that we would be having a TG that was themed "mythical creatures and substitute creatures" I got a little excited! I could be a) a super BORING and probably slutty substitute teacher, which is what I figured most people would do or b) something unique and entertaining.

the obvious mythical creatures came to mind, unicorn, mermaid, witch.. etc. I threw these ideas out the window, I wanted to be something unique and fun that no one would think of. Clearly my mind went to Harry Potter. Talk about loads of options for mythical creatures. Sifting through all the possibilities I came across one of my favorite characters, Dobby! Oh what a creative and simple idea. :) So I went to work. I went to Target and bought bunny ears from the dollar section, pillow cases (one for my "dress" and one for the ears) and of course socks.

 I first began to wrap the ears with the extra pillow case in order to make dobby looking elf ears. I wrapped the whole head band and then wrapped the actual ears and attempted to hot glue them in place. This was by far the most difficult part, getting the ears wrapped well was a lot harder than expected, but it worked!!


After I finished the ears, I cut up the other pillow case to look like Dobby's pillow case he wears and I made it appear dirty using my make up (talk about resourceful). I tied the pillow case on one shoulder to look like Dobbys.

I then took one of the socks and made labels that I attached to it that said "I'm a free elf".


The final product turned out just as planned and I was really happy with it. More people than I expected actually knew who I was!! I was so thrilled :) and I had so much fun being Dobby!!

No comments:

Post a Comment